Monday, January 10, 2011

52 Books - Book 2

I became a huge fan of Ken Follett after reading Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, and lately Fall of Giants, so when searching the library for something interesting to read for book 2 of this challenge I took the safe bet and grabbed another Follett item.

Jackdaws tells the story of a female British spy who is sent into France just prior to the Allied invasion during World War II to destroy a German communications hub. It's a tale of covert operations, danger, murder, and of course, just enough romance to have you begging for an "and they lived happily ever after" ending.

Lest I mislead you, this book is NOTHING like my other favorites of Follett's mentioned above. This is more of what seems to be his older style, more military focused books. It was very similar to Eye of the Needle, and I'll admit it didn't capture my undivided attention right away. It took several days and several stops and starts before I was fully invested, but midway through I was hooked and the last half passed in a flurry of quickly turned pages.

This one won't go on my list of favorites, but I wouldn't hesitate to fall back on another Follett title when in doubt of what to read. He's proven himself to be a master of historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment