Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm Alive and 52 Books in 52 Weeks

Finding myself with a good bit more time and opportunity for blog upkeep these days so we'll give this a shot again and see if I can't do a bit better than posting once every six months.

We can make a deal. I'll post when I can and you read when you can. I'll do my best to make it something that someone out there in the blogosphere might want to read. If you happen to be that one person you can leave me some comments and this might just be a fun little place.

Good?

Good.

It's a deal then.

Now, let's kick this new era off with a challenge. If you've perused the blog world any at all in the past year you have undoubtedly heard of the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. I admit I'm a little late to the party, but I figure I gave the challenge a pretty good run for its money without even trying last year so why not actually keep count this year and see if I can't win something nice.

What? You didn't know there were prizes? Sure there are! Well, at least there are for me. A successful completion will earn me some serious bragging rights (although I'm not sure to whom. the few friends I have could care less) and a totally awesome handmade bumper sticker that I plan to make for my car. It's gonna look so cool on my VW station wagon!

So let's get down to business.

PRACTICE WEEK
A Rope and A Prayer by David Rohde and Kristin Mulvihill - I read this technically the week prior to beginning the challenge, but it was so interesting I couldn't bear to not mention it here. This is the true story of a NY Times reporter, David Rohde, who was kidnapped by the Taliban while reporting in Afghanistan and held captive for 7 months before he escaped. The book is told both from his perspective and from the perspective of his wife back home in New York. Wonderfully educational regarding current day Afghanistan as well as the history that has made it the place it is today. Not to mention the nail-biting suspense of his capture, captivity, and escape. Loved it!


BOOK 1
Hell's Corner by David Baldacci - Set in Washington, D.C. like all good gov't conspiracy theory books, this is the newest of the Camel Club adventures by Baldacci. It's fun and easy to read, but nothing that will leave a long lasting impression. If you're short on time and looking for something that will keep your attention for a couple of days or just need a starter book to get into the groove of reading, this (and just about any other Baldacci book) would be great though.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back, Miss Taska! I'm excited to follow your awesome grown-up Book It program!

    ReplyDelete